Wednesday, 24 February 2016

RULE OF READING- 25 PAGES

RULE OF READING- 25 PAGES


Today I made a golden rule- if I read 25 pages of a book and yet the book fails to teach me one thing that rings true with my mind, I will keep the book down and move to the next one.

With my reading speed (50 books a year), I might just be able to read 2000 more books in my lifetime, considering I live for another 40 years. I can’t read the books only because someone was ruminating on pages or someone didn’t have better use of his/her time and therefore s/he filled pages. 

Writing is a serious craft. I take it damn seriously. And I like to read people who take it equally seriously. I have nothing against reading the writers who find writing EASY because they have REACHED there. But they are few, much lesser than what we can imagine. Some writers are born with a Golden Pen and without much training they are THERE. They simply are THERE. There are other writers who work for years to hone their craft and finally find the VOICE that is plain and simple—AWESOME!

Any given time, there might be 10% writers in human population who are of that league. So, definitely there are 90% writers out there making legitimate living writing something, which is hardly good. They write because writing pays their bills. Which is great! It must pay the bills. But I am not going to read something only because the writing paid that writer’s bill. If a person falls in that category the person must work double, triple, or four times harder than the TALENTED writer to impress me. If s/he is not TALENTED (NATURALLY TALENTED—BORN WITH A GOLDEN PEN) and not HARDWORKING, why exactly should I read this writer?

I will read something because the person who wrote twisted his/her guts to write it. S/he shivered with passion. S/he screamed in anguish. S/he cried real tears.
I have to know that someone has burned his/her mental fuel to reach to the pages, which I am reading. Else, I am not interested!

If you want to learn how to write a novel, you can follow Kirtida's week by week program called Method Writing. 

Kirtida Gautam is a clinical psychologist and an author. Follow her on Twitter @KirtidaGautam 




No comments:

Post a Comment